UAW to announce progress with Ford ahead of deadline to expand strike

UAW to announce progress with Ford ahead of deadline to expand strike

DETROIT — The United Auto Workers will say it has made significant progress towards a deal with Ford Motor ahead of its Friday deadline to reach new labor agreements before expanding its strike with the Detroit Three automakers, according to a source familiar with talks.

The UAW last week launched unprecedented, simultaneous strikes at one assembly plant each of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler parent Stellantis, but analysts expect any wider strike will include plants that build highly profitable pickup trucks, GM’s Chevy Silverado and Stellantis’ Ram.

The UAW declined to say if it would add additional Ford plants to the strike but said earlier this week it would not if it had seen “significant progress.” Ford shares gained 2%. Ford could not immediately be reached for comment.

About 12,700 workers walked out at plants in Missouri, Michigan and Ohio, which produce the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler and Chevrolet Colorado, alongside other popular models. UAW President Shawn Fain has warned that more of the union’s 146,000 members who work at the Detroit Three will join them if new deals are not reached before noon EDT (1600 GMT) on Friday.

The union will also invite President Joe Biden to come to the picket lines, the source said.

The standoff is fueling worries about prolonged industrial action that could disrupt production and ripple through the supply chain and dent U.S. economic growth. A Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Thursday shows significant support by Americans for the striking auto workers.

Fain is due to address members on Facebook Live at 10 a.m. EDT, at which time he will outline the plants that will join the strike two hours later.

See also  Berkshire Hathaway To Buy Alleghany Corporation For $11.6 Billion

Fain has said the Detroit automakers have not shared their huge profits with workers while enriching executives and investors.

GM President Mark Reuss this week rejected those claims, saying the current offer to the union would be generous and the company’s profits have been reinvested in the transition to electric vehicles.

The automakers have proposed 20% raises over 4-1/2 years, while the UAW is seeking 40%.

The union also wants to end a tiered wage structure that it says has created a large gap between newer and older employees.

S&P said the strikes, which began on Sept. 15, were highly likely to last several weeks, potentially cutting third-quarter U.S. gross domestic product by 0.39% and causing “upheaval” across global automotive supply chains.

GM, Ford and Stellantis have said they are making contingency plans for further U.S. work stoppages.

Ford reached a last-minute deal to avoid a walkout at its Canadian operations late on Tuesday. Unifor, which represents about 5,600 Canadian auto workers, had been threatening to go on strike at all three Ford plants in the country.